Monday, November 3, 2014

Non-Fiction Critical Analysis

                 In the article “Why the Best Kids Books Are Written in Blood” by Sherman Alexie, Alexie wants readers to know that although young adult books deal with dark and serious topics, many of the teens reading these books go through these issues in their everyday lives and  can relate to them. Throughout the article, Alexie tries to convince readers that there is no need to keep YA books out of reach of teens, and that taking away teens books will only make them suffer more. He does this by adding in details about his own struggles as a teen living in poverty and abuse, and telling readers how he wished he had a modern YA book back then to find safety in. Alexie also mentions to readers the tons of fan letters he gets from teens, telling him of their own struggles, and how they relate Alexie’s own YA book, “The Absolutely True Diary if a Part-Time Indian.” The details show readers that it is not a good idea to keep YA books out of the hands of children.
                Alexie convinces readers that there should be no limited access to YA books by making them feel sympathy towards the kids seeking refuge in the YA books, and also by giving examples of his personal experience with the issues. He mentions one time went to a high school to speak about his book, and heard many teens’ stories. “A young woman recalled the terrible moment when indifferent high school administrators told her that she couldn’t possibly be a teen mother and finish high school.” Alexie makes the reader’s realize what kinds of situations the kids reading to YA books are coming from. He talks about his own upbringing as well, and the struggles he faced. “When I think of the poverty-stricken, sexually and physically abused, self-loathing, Native American teenager that I was, I can only wish that I’d been given the opportunity to read “The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian.” By telling readers about his own experiences, Alexie shows that teens are able to take refuge in YA books.
          Although I agree with Sherman Alexie that YA books shouldn’t be banned from teen’s libraries altogether, I do believe that certain age restrictions to YA books should be applied. Alexie stated why YA books helped kids, but he did not include what might happen when a young child that has never been exposed to these ideas reads and dark and serious teen novel.  Some children might be influenced to start doing the terrible thins mentioned in the books, instead of finding therapy in them. Despite this, “Why the Best Kids Books are Written in Blood” raises a convincing and interesting argument against the banning of YA books.

2 comments:

  1. Great job! I really think you did a great job of balancing your opinion yet also facts. I think the conclusion is very strong, the best writing does usually come out at the end! You should maybe put some more quotes in there, but it doesn't really matter. Anyways, great job! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As i was reading your post, I had a very similar idea to Trixies! I thought that most of the good stuff came out at the end. Your conclusion was really well thought out and I think that you did a great job with being able to analyze the text of an article and synthesize on that. I think that what made this analysis strong was your use of developed thinking at the end. It left me thinking and wondering about the connection between YA books and therapy. Even though you didn't talk about that, your strong and thoughtful ideas led me into another area of thought.

    ReplyDelete